Friday, August 26, 2005

Malibu or Civic

For the past week or so I have been looking at new cars. I had it narrowed down to either a Cobalt or a Civic. Monday I drove the Civic and heard about how much greater the resale value of it is than a Cobalt a few times.

On Tuesday I went to drive the Cobalt. There was not a Cobalt on the lot at the time so I drove a Malibu. It was a nice car. Bigger than the Civic, six cylinder as opposed to four, and after the discounts and things, still roughly a grand more. Not too bad considering all of the features it has. Adjustable pedals and built-in remote start.

Went to the Chevy dealer today and went from $1,800 for my '96 Cavalier with 190,000 miles on it to $2,100. That was a plus, considering I paid $2,000 for it a couple of years ago. The guy at the dealership is a nice guy I guess. He isn't as pushy as most dealers I have dealt with.

After the Chevy place I went back to the Honda place and drove the Civic one more time. And I heard how much more the resale value of the Civic is over the Malibu quite a few times in the two hours I was there. That seemed to be the only thing the dealers are trained to tell people. They also want to give me a whopping $200 for my car. That won't happen. This guy is pretty pushy, like he won't eat if he doesn't sell this car. To hear him boast and brag you would think he should be more laid back. I told him that I wasn't worried about the resale value because I'm planning to drive the hell out of whichever car I get. I'm probably going to put massive amounts of miles on them. It was a typical car dealer experience.

I think I'm going to go with the Malibu. It's more car and just a grand more. Oh and the guy wasn't a pushy kind of car dealer.

I'm not really not into the height of the middle console, and I think the controls for the radio might be a bit far, but it is a better car for not much more. It does also have 3,000 miles on it. Had a few dollars taken off for that though.

Today also marks my sixth year in the Air Force. Not sure I'll do another 14, but if I do I sure hope they go faster and a lot smoother than these first six have.

1 comment:

  1. If you're just going by name, I'd say there's a lot more going for a car named after a ritzy beach in southern California than a car named after a class I hated in the seventh grade.

    ReplyDelete