Monday, October 23, 2006

Again with the cops

Today I was driving on base when I went by a cop. I had just gotten up to speed as another car went past me. The cop catches up and follows me down the road. I turned and he turned. Then he turned on his lights.

He talked on his little radio. Then he got out of his car and stood behind the door. He kept looking around like he was expecting others. He got back into his car and sat there for a minute. Then he got back out and stood next to his car. Finally he came up and the conversation went something like this.

"The reason I pulled you over today is because you where on your cell phone when you passed me."
"No sir, I sure wasn't."
"Yes you where."
"No, I wasn't. I was leaning my head on my hand like this. I tilt my head and put it in my left hand."
"I need to see your license and proof of insurance."
I look at a piece of paper to make sure it is the insurance.
"So you weren't on your phone?"
"No I wasn't." The phone rings. "In fact, this is my first call of the day." I turn off the ringer and hand him the insurance paper.
"It's funny, you say you where leaning your head like this" he puts his left hand up to his head, "but you where leaning like this." He puts his right hand up to his ear.
"Ok, either way I wasn't on it."
"Could you hold up your cell phone so I can get a look at it?"
I hold up the phone.
His little radio tells him that my car is legal.
"I'm going to go ahead and let you go this time."
"Ok."
Why keep asking if I was on it? I can prove that I wasn't. They do have time stamp and durration logs on the phones. I leave and get off the base. It's cool that they pretend to do their job, but can't they pretend with people that really are on their phones?

It's official, I'm going to be in Jersey for training in a couple of weeks. Looks like I'll be in a dorm room for most of the time. We'll be outside a couple of nights according to the equipment list. The best part is that I don't need to take my chem gear. It's not on the list, I'm not taking it. Maybe they figure we practice that enough? We practice everything else too.

Then I get the email that I will be going to the same training here on base teh week before I go to Jersey. I emailed the scheduler back and told her that I was going to be running around getting ready for the other training and I wouldn't make it. The civilian in charge emailed too and asked about it. Our Chief of Staff said that the Jersey training with the Army takes care of the base training here. Why am I going to waste a bunch of money that the Air Force claims not to have for training that I can get here? And people can't understand why so many are getting kicked out. It's not because the Air Force wants to buy weapons and things. It's because the people who run it can't figure out how not to waste money and come up with stupid ideas like this.

The latest issue of
the Eye In the Sky is out. I have a couple of stories and a bunch of photos this time. Yay me! Here real soon, when the Airman gets it set up, we will only be doing web based articles. No more waiting for the paper to come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment