Saturday, August 26, 2006

Seven year itch

Who would have thought seven years after I raised my hand to pledge my whatever to the military I would still be in. Not only still be in but really thinking about staying in and trying to make it a career?Not this guy, that's for damn sure.

That's right, August 25, 1999 me and my pony tail left the MEPS station in Indiana and made our way to Texas to start a career in th Air Force. The pony tail didn't survive the first week of training, poor thing. Three jobs, three bases, and two deployments later and I'm still around.


It has been a pretty good seven years if you don't count the Air Force related stuff. What's Air Force related stuff? It's all the stupid stuff the Air Force comes up with, the way things are executed, and the everyday running of things. And we can't forget the "down sizing" in the middle of two wars, one if you use Republican math.

There are a few good things, not having to stay in one place for too long, the traveling, and that phat pay. That's right, I said phat pay, as in too much. Those of you that don't agree are probably the one or two striper that's dumb enough to get married and have two or three kids thinking the military will pay you for them. Those of us that are NCOs and single, we think differently.

Here in the next couple of months I have to decide if the money and "job security" (you can have a job until we don't need you) is good enough to out weigh all the stupid stuff. I don't know, there is a whole lot of stupid stuff though.

4 comments:

  1. That picture amuses me. Who is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be Travis. He's a structures troop from Montana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, Lori took the original of him for me. She said she was putting together something for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:34 AM

    It is too funny to read this 5 years latter!

    ReplyDelete