Friday, July 15, 2005

What I Hate Today


First I understand how the silly-villian (civilian) workers on this base feel. Every couple of weeks some group of students come by and want to take pictures of you doing your job. That can get annoying, especially if some of the kids aren't very appreciative.

However, we do need to be able to take pictures of these people for our assignments and that should just be a part of the job on a media training base.

Today we were told to go and walk up to random workers and ask them to take their pictures. Here is a breakdown of how the day went.

Arts and crafts center: one pottery lady-no, other pottery lady-no, framing lady-no
Commisary: peanut guy-no, fruit guy-no, samples lady-no
My hotel and the one next to it: my building->first floor (in my room at the time)-no
second floor-no
third floor-no
other one->first floor- ok, just one picture though
second floor- let the guy I was with take a few
(practically begged for it though)
third floor-no
Thrift store: all three ladies-have to talk to the manager first (manager was in meeting)

So, on the way to the thrift store a bug flew into the truck and landed on my neck. I felt a kind of pinch. I asked the guy driving what it was before I smashed it. "It's a bee," he said. So instead of squishing the life from it right then and there I flicked it into the window. It went into that space between the windshield and dash board. It came out and that was the last thing it did. I squished the piss out of that bug. Turns out it was a bumle bee. Those things don't quit stinging you either. It didn't leave the stinger in, I guess that is a good thing. I'm looking forward to the stiff neck I'm going to have for the next week because of the poison working its way out.

Back to the pictures, it's pretty obviouse I only got one pic for that part of the assignment.

For the first part of the pictures assignment I had a partner. Appariently lunch is pretty important. It was getting close to that time and I still had to get my shots. The kid took quite a bit of time to get his first couple of shots. One shot was a silouhette. I told him I wanted to take them infront of the second floor window we were at. He said that we should go outside. I told him that every minute we spent going down the stairs to go outside was a minute we would waste.

We go down anyway. Outside he realizes that I was right and we should go back inside. Me correct? What a concept!! We end up back inside by a bunch of doors. I take the pic and the door frames and other things are all in the picture. I tell him I want to go somewhere else and he says (everybody say it with me) "Be the monkey, do the trick, get the banana." I tell him that the pics suck and I'm trying, and part of that is to eliminate distractions from the picture. We end up at a different window and the pics look better. They weren't the greatest, but they were much better than the door window.

The day is over, and done with. I'll have that story on this weekend sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment