Monday, July 18, 2005

Latest Story

Here is the story I promised I'd have on here. Wanna read it? Here it is.

Twenty-five years ago there was a carnival in Cleveland, Ohio. Cleveland Indians outfielder and 1980 Rookie of the Year Joe Charbonneau was there signing autographs.
"I ran right up to him and got his autograph," said Air Force Tech. Sgt., and Cleveland native, Adam M. Stump, a public affairs instructor at the Defense Information School here.
Stump has been collecting autographs of sports stars for a quarter of a century and hasnearly 200.
Even though Stump had Charboneau's autograph, and a few others he got here and tehre, the idea to collect them didn't come until two years later when he met John McEnroe at an exhibition tinnis match, he said.
Stump wan in the Big Brother-Big Sisters program at the time.
Before the tennis matches, there was a get-together for the big brothers and little brothers who won tickets to the event. He and another kid went to the restroom, and as they walked out, McEnroe walked into the banquet room, he said.
They were both excited to see him and ran into the banquet room, he said.
"He had actually come up to see us," Stump said.
It was neat because he was a big-time athlete, not like Charbonnea. Everyone knew who John McEnroe was, he said.
"I didn't have anything for him to sign because I wasn't really prepared. I didn't know he was coming," Stump said.
Stump got his autograph on the back of the envelope that the tickets for the event were in. Now he has it in his office.
A football signed by former Buffalo Bills quarterback Jim Kelly also sits on his desk.
"Someone said I can get between five and six hundred dollars," Stump said.
However, he has no intention of selling the football or any other autograph.
"I've only sold one autograph in my life," he said.
"It was a Ken Griffey Jr. autographed baseball," he said.
He took it to a card show just to see how much he could get for it, he said.
"The guy was making me an offer I couldn't refuse," Stump said.
"I regretted doing it the day after and still regret it to this day," he said.
"I won't be able to get another one," he said.
Stump doesn't bring stuff to work just so he can show them off to fellow staff.
She has only seen what he displays on his desk, but she's heard about the collection he has at home, said Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Terrina M. Weatherspoon, a journalism instructor at DINFOS.
She heard that he has over 200 autographs that he started collecting as a little boy, she said.
"He must be pretty personable and approchable to be able to get all of those autographs," she said.
Even with 200 autographs, Stump doesn't have all of the signatures he would like to have.
He has a copy of Terry Bradshaw's book "It's Only a Game" that he would like to get signed by the former Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback.
"I'm a real big Steelers fan," Stump said.
Stump plans to give his son, Alex, his collection of cards when Alex is 10.
Alex is 3 now. With short, brown hair and blue eyes, Alex is the smaller, spitting image of Adam, even down to the gray patch of hair on the back of his head.
"I'm not sure if he'll appreciate it, but being able to tell him some of the stories that go along with it will be one of the best memories I'll have," Stump said.

There it is. This one got me an 87 and if I score atleast 70's on the last two stories I'll actually pass the features part of the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment