Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Cleaning the Mac

Yesterday I attempted to download photos from a story I'm working on and got the dreaded "your hard drive is full" message. I spent a bit of time the last couple of days figuring out what is where and what can be moved or deleted. 


Of course iTunes was a main storage hog. Figuring it out and moving everything from the computer to the external drive wasn't too difficult. I didn't empty the trash can until I knew I had everything set up right this time. It was still a long two hours watching iTunes update the library from the new folder. But it works now and I have space on my computer. 


Aperture is also a storage hog, but I don't keep photos I have finished in the program. They normally get put right on the external. So, that wasn't too big of a deal. 


After doing those two things and deleting various other backup files I was able to clean up like 60 gigs to give me 106 gigs free. YAY! The disk usage display still doesn't seem to be displaying correctly. I have over 50 gigs of "Other" and 26 gigs of movies on the computer according to it. Guess I'll be looking for those. 

No comments:

Post a Comment