Friday, August 28, 2009

10 down, ? more to go

The 25th marked my 10 years in the Air Force. Its been a pretty interesting time with all the places I've been, things I've done and seen and the trouble I've gotten into. Even most of the people have been o.k.

Its been a decade of 3s. Three bases: Japan, Montana and Georgia. Three jobs: 1A4, structures and public affairs. Three deployments: Turkey, near Saudi and Iraq.

After 10 years I'm still me. It was rough going for a while. I came in with a dislike for authority and was in trouble a lot in Japan because of it. Don't worry, I'm still a smart ass and say what's on my mind, I just say it differently now.

This new job in San Antonio is coming at a good time. With two years left on this enlistment it could help me decide to stay in and finish, or get out and move on. I think I'll like it. I'm told that I'll be traveling about 10 times a year all over the world. That's the part I'm looking forward to since that's one reason I came in as a flyer.

Will I make it another 10? I don't know. I'm surprised, as I'm sure most of you are, that I have lasted this long. The retired at 40 makes sticking it out real tempting tho. Guess we'll just wait and see.

Homie's note: This was written at Turner Field while the Braves were getting whooped on by the Padres, my first major league ball game, or else it would have been posted yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment